It’s been a while since I reviewed an eatery. Last week I found the perfect candidate: Amy’s and Cathy’s Takeout, on the square in Seguin. This little-known eatery is a gem, a real find in the sleepy little town I now call home. (Again.) Amy and Cathy use an interesting business model: Serve home-made food for only four hours a day, from 10 AM to 2 PM, and focus on takeout items. This makes wonderful sense, given their other lives and the clientele they serve. The business and government staff at locations near downtown often want a quick meal, and Amy and Cathy fill that need. There is room for about fifteen very friendly diners to eat at the store (which we did). As we ate our tasty fare, a steady stream of customers came in, plunked down their cash or plastic, and walked out with a meal to go. They were all smiling when they left, too.
Amy’s & Cathy’s has a blackboard style menu, made out in colored chalk. There are a variety of attractive options, steady winners and daily specials, although as you can imagine, these ladies have used the KISS Principle: Keep It Scrumptiously Simple. Some of the items:
- Ultimate Turkey: Honey mustard, spinach, deli turkey, baked honey wheat bun
- Chicken Bacon Cheddar: Grilled chicken sandwich, bacon, cheese, purpose onion and special mayo
- Chicken and Pesto: Grilled chicken breast, layers of pesto and Swiss, ciabatta bun
- Ham It Up: Ham, Swiss, mayo, mustard on honey wheat bun
- Greater Tuna (as only in Texas!): Tuna salad, buttery croissant, lettuce, tomato
- Portabella & Roasted Red Pepper: With feta cheese, basil pesto, on homemade ciabatta
- Paninis, Grilled Cheese, or Pimiento Cheese sandwiches
- Wraps: Southwestern, Veggie, Asparagus Salad (and more)
- Central Park Chicken Salad, Bunny Salad, Pecan House Salad
Meal prices range from $4 to $8, not counting some of the extras you may want; drinks extra. The sandwiches come to your table in a basket, with sweet pickles and a bag of chips. (Foamed plastic clamshell carriers are the order of the day for carry-out.) You can get a Half Sandwich, Half Salad (or Fettucine Salad, or Soup) meal for about the same price as a sandwich. One unique offering: Any three salads, or any two salads and soup, for a great lunch price. There are great cookies and desserts too, for those of you who don’t mind a sugar coma for the afternoon…
Amy’s & Cathy’s Takeout, 201 S. Austin St., Seguin TX 78155; (830) 401-0989
Enjoy the (Tasty Takeaway) Heat!
Powered by Zoundry Raven