Living like a monk. It’s an old stereotype, a cliché. Sackcloth and ashes, dry bread and bad water. Lots of meditating while digging weeds out of the garden. The occasional beer. Unless you’re like Friar Tuck.
Lenten traditions about eating and drinking may bring the stereotype to mind, especially to those who don’t know the traditions. Truth is, the whole thing isn’t that bad. No, really. Trust me.
And if you do think it’s terrible, then here’s a novel way out. A man in Adams County, Iowa has decided to eat like a monk during this Lent. He’s gone back to a very old tradition, when some monks abstained from solid food for the whole season, all 46 days.
Not just any beer, but “liquid bread.” Doppelbock, to be precise; “Double Bock.” Now, I’ve had Bock style beers that you almost had to chew, they were so solid. A good Double Bock is even better, and trust me, it’s not one of those wimpy, watered-down, no-calories-here modern beers that the ads all entice you to drink. No, calories won’t be an issue.
If you think about it, though, this is still an amazing hardship. Where’s the chips and salsa? The pretzels, the sausage, the sardines and crackers? Man, he’s really gone way overboard on this thing, if you ask me. At least he’ll have four healthy portions of brew a day. And all the water he needs. (He’s bought a couple of minis, I hear; should be plenty.)
So what’s your guess: Is he going to make it? Will he lose or gain weight? Will he ever return to solid food again? Inquiring minds want to know!
Enjoy the (Liquid Lenten Lunches) Heat!
- Friday Follies: Weirdest Snacks, Dumb (and Hungry) Burglars, and Why Google is Like Bananas
- Friday Follies: Cakes That Make You Laugh (Maybe), and Which Food Best Represents Your State
- Friday Follies: Green Bugs to Replace Red Meat On Your Plate?
- Friday Follies: How to Pour a Beer Every Second (Almost)
- How Beer Saved the World (and, You Heard It Here First!)
- Friday Follies: Become a Professional Beer Expert (And You Thought All You Had to Do Was Drink)
- What's for Dinner Gets Automated, In a Weird Sort of Way
- Follies Extra: Is That a Chile Pepper On Your Plate, or Are You Just Happy to See Me?
- Friday Follies: Oh, You Wanted the Mayo On the Side, Eh?
- Friday Follies: Eating Like a Monk During Lent
- Friday Follies: O No, You Got a Spork in the Salad Shooter!
- Friday Follies: Food Network Now Wants to Play Ball
- Friday Follies: Chile Underground Voted Number One Food Blog
- Friday Follies: Beer, It's What's for Breakfast
- Friday Follies: The End of the World is Nigh, and Bacon is to Blame
- Virtual Reality Gives “Cookie Monster” a Whole New Meaning
- Friday Follies: Do-It-Yourself Egg Art, and That’s No Yolk
- Burger Follies: A Fight Over Killer Burgers, In-N-Out in Texas, and Burger America Goes Second Edition
- Friday Follies: Once I Saw These, I Didn’t Stand a Ghost of a Chance…
- Friday Follies: Peppers Help Preggers to Pop
- Follies: Barbeque That Goes Where You Go, All Day Long
- Follies: How to Carry Your Liquor, and Don’t Do’s at the Bar
- Going to China for the Aquatics Championships? Don’t Eat the Pork…
- Zesty Chili Doesn’t Make Lingerie More Exciting for One Woman
- Follies: Edible Clay, Eu de Play-Doh, and a Website You Can’t Live Without
- Important News Concerning Two Essential Food Groups: Beer and Hamburgers
- Follies Extra: A Multitude of Uses for Beer (Besides Drinking)
- Chocolate’s Better’n Carrots, But Is Miracle Whip Really Good for Your Love Life?
- Who Says Lutherans Don’t Know How to Party? Watch This…
- There’s Something Big Stirring at UMass…
- Salsa Proves Too Hot for Owner; He’s Smoked…
- Would You Like Some Al Yankovic With That Veal Cordon Bleu? And Other Food-Music News
- A Salmagundi of Savory Silliness
- Doritos Situation Grave, and (Lust for) Alcohol Makes You Stupid
- “A Bear Walked Into a Grocery…” And It’s No Joke…
- French Ban Ketchup? This Means War! Again…
- Armadillo as Weapon, Bar Fun With Guns, and Another Humongous Burger
- Pizza as Vegetable? Okay; Why Not Chocolate, or Cheez Whiz, or Kool Whip, or …
- A Meal That Makes You Glad You Have Leftovers From Thanksgiving
- Why This May Be the Last Christmas Ever
- If You’re Going Out Into the Snow, Take Your Beer Along (Lots of It)
- No Eat Strong Pig, Eat Monster Gummy Bear Instead