I’ve been storing up odd news bits that (allegedly) involve food. It’s time to share a few of the strange and unbelievable ones:
The convenient Russian myth that beer is a soft drink will end shortly, following the enactment of restrictions signed by President Dmitry Medvedev in July. Beer had been rapidly replacing vodka as the country’s primary alcoholic beverage, as people drank it with impunity around the clock in public places, since they pretended they were consuming nothing more powerful than a cola. The way supporters reacted to Medvedev’s law is also interesting.
The Aug. 6 revival spectacular in Houston, billed as a day of prayer and attended by 30,000 people at Reliant Stadium, was also billed as a day of fasting, which apparently took at least a few worshipers by surprise, and Reliant’s concession stands (which were open all day) only added to the temptation to ignore the fast. One otherwise-devout man from San Angelo, Texas, told the Texas Tribune that it was OK for him to eat because of an "agreement" he "made with God earlier."
From time to time, Tibetan Buddhists inadvertently support the seafood industry with campaigns of "liberation" of living beings. In August, a Buddhist group purchased 534 lobsters from a Gloucester, Mass., wholesaler, sprayed them with holy water, clipped off their claw bindings, and released them into the Atlantic Ocean. Of course, the lobsters were almost certainly re-caught by Gloucester lobstermen
Finally, for your video enjoyment, here’s a clip that shows the dangers (and delights) of Love at First Bite, Italian style:
Enjoy the (Weird Food News) Heat!
- Friday Follies: Weirdest Snacks, Dumb (and Hungry) Burglars, and Why Google is Like Bananas
- Friday Follies: Cakes That Make You Laugh (Maybe), and Which Food Best Represents Your State
- Friday Follies: Green Bugs to Replace Red Meat On Your Plate?
- Friday Follies: How to Pour a Beer Every Second (Almost)
- How Beer Saved the World (and, You Heard It Here First!)
- Friday Follies: Become a Professional Beer Expert (And You Thought All You Had to Do Was Drink)
- What's for Dinner Gets Automated, In a Weird Sort of Way
- Follies Extra: Is That a Chile Pepper On Your Plate, or Are You Just Happy to See Me?
- Friday Follies: Oh, You Wanted the Mayo On the Side, Eh?
- Friday Follies: Eating Like a Monk During Lent
- Friday Follies: O No, You Got a Spork in the Salad Shooter!
- Friday Follies: Food Network Now Wants to Play Ball
- Friday Follies: Chile Underground Voted Number One Food Blog
- Friday Follies: Beer, It's What's for Breakfast
- Friday Follies: The End of the World is Nigh, and Bacon is to Blame
- Virtual Reality Gives “Cookie Monster” a Whole New Meaning
- Friday Follies: Do-It-Yourself Egg Art, and That’s No Yolk
- Burger Follies: A Fight Over Killer Burgers, In-N-Out in Texas, and Burger America Goes Second Edition
- Friday Follies: Once I Saw These, I Didn’t Stand a Ghost of a Chance…
- Friday Follies: Peppers Help Preggers to Pop
- Follies: Barbeque That Goes Where You Go, All Day Long
- Follies: How to Carry Your Liquor, and Don’t Do’s at the Bar
- Going to China for the Aquatics Championships? Don’t Eat the Pork…
- Zesty Chili Doesn’t Make Lingerie More Exciting for One Woman
- Follies: Edible Clay, Eu de Play-Doh, and a Website You Can’t Live Without
- Important News Concerning Two Essential Food Groups: Beer and Hamburgers
- Follies Extra: A Multitude of Uses for Beer (Besides Drinking)
- Chocolate’s Better’n Carrots, But Is Miracle Whip Really Good for Your Love Life?
- Who Says Lutherans Don’t Know How to Party? Watch This…
- There’s Something Big Stirring at UMass…
- Salsa Proves Too Hot for Owner; He’s Smoked…
- Would You Like Some Al Yankovic With That Veal Cordon Bleu? And Other Food-Music News
- A Salmagundi of Savory Silliness
- Doritos Situation Grave, and (Lust for) Alcohol Makes You Stupid
- “A Bear Walked Into a Grocery…” And It’s No Joke…
- French Ban Ketchup? This Means War! Again…
- Armadillo as Weapon, Bar Fun With Guns, and Another Humongous Burger
- Pizza as Vegetable? Okay; Why Not Chocolate, or Cheez Whiz, or Kool Whip, or …
- A Meal That Makes You Glad You Have Leftovers From Thanksgiving
- Why This May Be the Last Christmas Ever
- If You’re Going Out Into the Snow, Take Your Beer Along (Lots of It)
- No Eat Strong Pig, Eat Monster Gummy Bear Instead