I recently wrote about using mangos in a fruit-pepper jelly. Well, I had a brainstorm shortly after that session in the kitchen. The inspiration came from a bit of candy I was sucking on while I mulled over exactly how to prepare my next batch of jelly.
offending enlightening sweet? A butterscotch.
One of my favorite hard candies, I admit. The buttery smoothness, the nearly-caramelized brown sugar richness; a great treat, in my opinion. I was working that candy
like a bulldog chews a neckbone around in my mouth when it came to me in a flash: Why not put butterscotch flavor in the jelly?
I had already cut three mangos open. I quickly cleaned up the fruit and stuck them into the fridge. Checking the pantry, I found no butterscotch bits or anything. Off to the market! I couldn’t find any butterscotch flavoring drops or syrup, but I did find butterscotch chips, naturally. So I snagged a bag of those, collected the few other items I needed, and hurried back to the kitchen.
I used about 6-8 ounces of chips in the pot with the processed fruit and other ingredients. I actually made almost exactly the same jelly I’d made in the last mango batch, with pineapple and fresh ginger. A few deseeded habanero chiles. Lemon and pineapple juices. Sugar, Stevia, spices.
Man, this jelly came out wonderful! I think I may be well on my way to world domination after this coup…
The (Buttery Mango Scotch) Heat is ON!
- Red Pepper Jelly Sunday
- Pepper Jelly Update: Anybody Got a Gas Mask I Can Borrow?
- Tag-Team Teaching in the Kitchen
- Lemon Ginger Marmalade, an Easy Spread to Make
- Yellow Inferno for Breakfast: Caribé-Habañero Pepper Jelly
- Lemony-Hot Jam, a Hybrid Spread With a Slow Burn
- Hatch Chiles and Lime, a Great Combo for Jam
- Jessica, Your Prickly Pear Cactus Jelly is Ready
- Hunting the Wild Prickly Pear in South Texas
- Prickly Pear Jelly Redux: Juice, Juice Everywhere…
- Charred Pineapple, Habañeros and Bourbon, a Great Jam Combo
- How to Push Prickly Pear Jelly Over the Top With Serrano Chiles
- Not Your Momma’s Marmalade
- A Jam That’s Just Plum Good…
- Peaches O’ Eight Jam, the Perfect Pirate Toast Topping
- Saint Basil’s Green; It’s Not Just for Breakfast Anymore
- Pepper Jelly Redux: Apricot Jam, Extra-Zesty Habañero and Serrano Jellies
- Pepper Jelly Sweetened with Stevia: It’s a Hit!
- Gardens, Gators, and Green Pepper Jelly
- Do Hairless Peaches Make Great Jam? You Betcha…
- Roasted Garlic and Caramelized Onion Jam
- Cinnamon Plus Heat Equals Magic
- March Madness, With Mangos…
- StingJam, a New Variety of Pepper Jelly
- Butter and Scotch? Not Quite; But a Great Jelly Nonetheless…
- White Flesh Peach Zingjam, a Refreshing Topping
- More Summertime Fruit Pepper Jellies
- Holiday Marmalade with Habaneros and Prickly Pear Juice
- Pepper Jelly Makes a Great Christmas Present
- Cherry Season is Here, and Cherry Pepper Jellies are Great
- Pepper Jellies and the Manzano Chile
- Singapore Sling Pepper Jelly! Now You Can Drink Your Toast…